More and more people are suffering from digestive problems these days.
The most common symptoms appear to be
- Feeling full
- Stomach pains
- Stomach cramps
- Flatulence (wind)
- Constipation, sluggishness of the bowels
Luckily, there are great ways to bring your digestion back up to scratch.
What are digestive problems and how can we recognize them?
Digestive problems, such as feeling full and bloated, can be caused by many things. Our digestive system is very complex. A number of linked processes within the mouth, stomach, intestines, liver and gallbladder ensure a smooth functioning. These detailed and linked processes can, however, be interrupted by
- Unhealthy living (f.e. fatty foods)
- Stress and anger
- Various illnesses
- Not enough sports
Consequently, you may suffer from digestive problems.
The causes of digestive problems
Feeling full and bloated does not mean that you are suffering from an illness. It is completely normal that even a healthy person reacts to a full meal by feeling full.
This can, for example, be cause by
- Fatty foods
- Very sweet food
- Foods that cause bloating, such as pulses and different types of cabbage
- Psychological factors, such as stress and anger
- Excessive alcohol and nicotine consumption
If you are regularly suffering from digestive problems without the respective triggers, this may be a sign of a dysfunction. In this case, you should consult your physician.
The following illnesses could cause digestive problems
- Irritable stomach (functional dyspepsia)
- Irritable colon syndrome
- Stomach ulcer and duodenum ulcer
- Fungal infections
- Dysfunction of bile acid production (f.e. infection of the pancreas, gall stones)
- Food intolerances (f.e. lactose intolerance)
- Food allergies
- Dysfunction of the gut flora (f.e. after antibiotic treatment)
- Autonomous polyneuropathy in case of diabetes mellitus
- Various tumors
In women, a feeling of fullness can also be caused due to hormonal fluctuations, such as
- during pregnancy
- just before starting menstruation
- during menstruation
- during menopause
How can digestive problems be diagnosed?
The first step in order to achieve a diagnosis is extensive questioning.
- When do the problems occur?
- What symptoms do you notice (f.e. feeling full, bloating, nausea, acid reflux)?
- How long do the problems last?
- Are you aware of any gastro-intestinal diseases, food intolerances and/ or food allergies?
- What is your nutrition like?
These and other details could provide first clues in regards to possible causes and will help to find the right treatment.
Tips in case of digestive problems, such as feeling full and bloated
Even healthy persons can feel full after eating too much, therefore the best preventative measures are
- Do not eat big meals, but eat smaller meals more often
- Make sure you eat enough fiber
- Chew your food well and take time to eat your meals properly
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine and artificial sweeteners
- Move more: this way you can stimulate intestinal activities
- Eat early in the evening
- Make sure you eat foods that you can easily digest
- Avoid fatty foods
How can digestive problems be treated?
If you suffer from feeling full, bloating, acid reflux, heartburn, pain and cramps due to having eaten too much or the wrong foods, you can try the following household remedies
- Tea with fennel, aniseed, cumin or peppermint
- Plant-based bitters, such as gentian or angelica root, dandelion
Another amazing remedy is the artichoke. The artichoke has been researched extensively in regards to digestive problems, and especially in regards to problems after eating fatty goods. The active components of the artichoke effect the following
- Reducing digestive problems (such as bloating and feeling full)
- Stimulating bile flow
- Improving the digestion of fat
- Protecting and regenerating the liver
- Promoting detoxification functions
You can also buy artichoke products in your local pharmacy. Cynarix has been a proven remedy in regards to digestive problems for many years. This traditional plant remedy can be bought as Cynarix pills, Cynarix Forte pills and Cynarix liquid.
The product insert, your physician or pharmacist will inform you in regards to the effect and possible unwanted side effects. The application of this traditional plant-based remedy in order to reduce digestive problems is based on long-term experience only.